Thursday, January 8, 2015

Take Words With You -- Devotion on Hosea 14

Words are important to me...
I love words and language.  I love the taste of certain words; the subtext, the implications of one word choice over another.  I get excited over explaining an idea in a new way, and in music the first thing that catches me or touches my heart is the lyric.

This moment in the book of Hosea captured my imagination the first time I read it:  "Take words with you and return to the Lord..." (14:2)

Words are an intense connection to God.  God loves words too!!  He spoke the world into being... and another name for Jesus Christ is "The Word of God."  Our words can be Christ spoken through us -- and when we "take words with us" and approach God, we are taking Christ with us in our approach, with all the love and grace implied in that!

What if we considered that every one of our words either returned to God or departed from God?  How would that change the words we choose?  If we deeply understand the power of our words to harm or to heal, does that change the choices we make with them?  

Take words with you... today and every day I pray that I can return to God with my words.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment